The art of long-term travel

The world beyond my window has disappeared, shrouded by a dense mist that draws everything inside it, a well-kept secret waiting to be revealed. Every morning I stand here; I pull back the curtains and gaze out across unexplored hillsides, their greens and browns growing more familiar with each passing day. Their lines will soon be as recognisable as those that criss-cross my palm, this daily moment in time a gift that Lee and I have given one another; to stand at the same window each morning, drink tea from the same cup, and share breakfast at the same table as we house sit for the next six months.

We have spent the past year arriving. We arrived and then departed more times than I am able to recall, a blurred mass of newness and fresh slates, their wiping clean wiping me out. With every hoist of my backpack I felt an ebbing of sorts, a vital part of me draining away as though a plug had been pulled from the soles of my feet. Everything was losing its shine, and my dwindling energy resources no longer afforded time for the things I most love to do, the things that make me most myself. Writing, reading, being creative.

Our last four months on the road passed by almost entirely devoid of art, save for our design business, and even that suffered, skirting dangerously close to becoming a problem rather than a passion. A barren hole now stood where my creativity once flowed, and I felt my sanity circling its dark edges.

I simply didn’t feel creative on the road. For the latter part of the year I mostly just felt exhausted, possibly even a little depressed. Everything was suffering – our relationship, our work, our mental health. And so we chose to come here to France, so we can slow down and regain what was lost somewhere along the way. I realised that, far more than travel, art is what is important to me. Without that I am lost, adrift in the unknown without a purpose.

So we have come in search of balance, to continue our exploration of the world at a pace that leaves more than enough time for me to pick up a pen, or a book, or a charcoal pastel. As my friend Candace put it so perfectly: “The tricky part for us, I think, is because travel is the inspiration for our art, it can become easy to let the travelling take over.”

When you are travelling, you are what you are in that moment, your most immediate self. The people you meet see only that version of you, and it’s hard to maintain your wholeness in this fragmented and transitory existence. My creativity was the first thing that suffered, marred by bus journeys and cramped rooms and lack of sleep. The only way for me to maintain my passion for travel and my inherent need to create, was to slow down and start again, to master the art of making art on the road.

It’s only our second week here in France, but already I feel myself coming back to old ways, with new ones still emerging. There is so much life in this stillness, so much to discover in this delicious half year of ours. Today we walked the woods that lay just beyond our doorstep, collecting leaves and Horse Chestnuts and new memories. A deer darted from our path, galloping across the fields beyond, thrilling us both with its closeness. The ability to forage and collect freely made my heart sing, no longer restricted by what my backpack affords me to carry. Lee mocked me as I filled my pockets with my muddy treasures, then washed them clean on returning home and set them on the table, my artist’s eye soothed by their sleek beauty.

I sit here now at my laptop, my notepad and pens spread across the blue linen tablecloth. The last of the days warmth streams through the window, warming my back as I type, and my fingertips still bear the charcoal stains from my afternoon of sketching. I feel as though I am stepping back into myself again, as though the past year has been spent in some kind of fugue state. There is so much space for us to be ourselves in, no longer kept to the confines of a single hotel room. Now we have an entire house. A spare room is to become our office in the coming days, the sofa my writer’s retreat, and the woods outside my daily source of inspiration.

Here, in the midst of so much beauty, four miles from the nearest town, where the only noise that breaks the silence is the call of tree frogs and the bell of our resident cat. Right here, where there is time to combine all that brings me joy. My love, my art, travel. This is where the adventure finally begins, an adventure lived my way.

Keep close to Nature’s heart… and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
- John Muir

art1

art2

art3

art4

art5

art6

art7

art8

Brandon November 7, 2013 at 19:03

This really hit home with me. I think every couple months it may make sense to ask myself this question and then re-align my decisions based on the results! Thank you.

I modified your quote a tiny bit so I could ask myself that question, hope you don’t mind…

“So we have come in search of ______, to continue our exploration of the world at a pace that leaves more than enough time for me to ______ ______ ______.”
Brandon recently posted..5 Tips to Survive a Music Festival (According to a Yogi)

Hannah November 7, 2013 at 19:51

I don’t mind at all Brandon – I’m so happy this post inspired you to question your travel/life balance.

Emily November 7, 2013 at 19:22

Your narrative and photos are beautiful! I would love a 6 month renewal the way you are!
Emily recently posted..To Try

Hannah November 7, 2013 at 19:53

Thank you so much Emily, I’m really looking forward to seeing what comes of these slow six months.

Cheryl @ Mid-Life Cruising! November 7, 2013 at 19:54

So glad you’re settling into France and enjoying it … looks beautiful!
Cheryl @ Mid-Life Cruising! recently posted..Out of My Comfort Zone

Hannah November 7, 2013 at 20:27

Thank you Cheryl, we feel so at home already – it’s going to be very tough to leave!

Patti November 7, 2013 at 20:49

I would love to return to France one day and spend more time getting to know the country. It’s a very special place. Have you read Julia Child’s book, My Life in France? I think you would enjoy her descriptions as she discovered France – and beyond. It’s a lovely read and she was an artist with food. Lovely photos, Hannah.
Patti recently posted..Pablo’s Paella ~

Hannah November 7, 2013 at 21:04

I haven’t read that Patti, in fact I hadn’t actually heard of it, but it sounds wonderful – thank you for the recommendation. I hope you are able to make it back here again one day.

Lou November 7, 2013 at 21:38

Beautiful words, Hannah – I’ve so missed your writing. The way you weave your stories is magic. I’m glad you’ve found a way to balance your loves… it sure looks like an amazing spot you’re in! Your photos are beautifully vivid (as are your words). Enjoy :)

Hannah November 8, 2013 at 07:48

Thank you so much for your kind words Lou, it has been wonderful coming back to my writing, and this is indeed an amazing spot, just bursting with inspiration. I look forward to sharing more of it.

Naomi November 7, 2013 at 21:47

That’s the trouble with living the dream, sometimes – it becomes real, later mundane, and loses some of the magic that it had when it was just an idea. Beautifully written post, and hooray for recharging in the countryside :)
Naomi recently posted..Building castells in the sky: Catalonia’s human towers

Hannah November 8, 2013 at 08:19

I think it’s not so much that my dream had lost its shine, but more so the elements within it, including myself, and so I had to learn how to adjust to live fully in its sphere. For so many years it had been this distant thing, then there it was, all around me. You have to shift and expand to fit the new, and – now this is the part I really struggled with – do so without extinguishing too much of the old. You are, after all, still you. It’s in finding that balance that the dream really comes to life.

Lindsey November 7, 2013 at 22:17

This looks like my absolute dream idea of rural France. What village is it? I must visit the area when I’m there next year!
Lindsey recently posted..The Chasing the Wild Travel Philosophy

Hannah November 8, 2013 at 08:23

Mine too! It’s a tiny village called Auty, home to just 150 people. There is really nothing here but fields and beauty. There are scores of little medieval villages and towns in this region, the Midi-Pyrénées, so you will be spoilt for choice with things to do and places to visit. When will you be arriving? Perhaps we will still be here…

Lauren November 8, 2013 at 02:34

Glad to hear you’re feeling like your old self again. Your next six months will be wonderful.
Lauren recently posted..A Food Pilgrimage of Sukhumvit Soi 38

Hannah November 8, 2013 at 08:24

Thank you Lauren, I really think they will!

Carmel November 8, 2013 at 02:52

There’s only one word to describe this post: lush. The feel, the colors…everything. It sounds like what you needed has found you. Love it. Just keep listening. You’ll find the right path for you. xoxo
Carmel recently posted..FINDING PEACE IN SEOUL

Hannah November 8, 2013 at 08:24

Thank you my dear – I love that word!

Gerald Englebretsen November 8, 2013 at 09:12

As usual, you distil it down to one telling phrase; a beautiful article.

GOLD

Hannah November 8, 2013 at 13:38

Thank you so much Gerald, your continued support and encouragement is greatly appreciated.

Ashlie November 12, 2013 at 04:33

That struck me too, Gerald. I agree, it’s GOLD.
Ashlie recently posted..A Conversation With Kim About Confronting Hard Truths & Giving Up Bullshit Excuses

Hannah November 12, 2013 at 08:21

Thank you Ash, that really means a lot x

Corinne November 8, 2013 at 11:55

Beautifully written. It would be a dream to housesit in France for a few months. Lovely photos.
Corinne recently posted..How to do Istanbul in Only 3 Days and Do it Right!

Hannah November 8, 2013 at 13:40

Thank you so much Corinne, I’m glad you enjoyed it. There was an abundance of French homes available when we began our house sitting search. If you ever decide to give it a go I can highly recommend http://www.mindmyhouse.com/ and http://www.trustedhousesitters.com/.

Monica November 8, 2013 at 12:56

This looks like such an incredible place to stop and spend a few months. Beautiful photos and what a lovely season to be there.
Monica recently posted..Catamaran Cruising and Swimming with Turtles in Barbados

Hannah November 8, 2013 at 13:41

Thank you Monica, we feel very lucky to call this place home for a while.

Kira November 8, 2013 at 16:21

Hannah this post was quite moving and thought provoking. It is so incredibly important to allow your true passion, your immediate source of inspiration, to remain fully present every day. With the hustle and bustle of life, it is easy for our creative process to get discarded. Not intentionally, but time can easily get away from us if we let it. I am so glad you are finding solace and comfort in your current home in France. It sounds amazing and enriching. To be creative is such a solitary act at its initial start. We create because there is something within us that needs to be voiced, released. Whether through writing, singing, drawing, painting, or designing we must always create, as it is through this process we truly grow and expand in this world. Sending you tons of love & light my dear.
Kira recently posted..Trayvon Martin’s Mom Calls For Amending ‘Stand Your Ground’ Laws

Hannah November 8, 2013 at 19:45

Thank you for your thoughtful comment Kira, I couldn’t agree with you more. With the frenetic pace we set for ourselves whilst travelling throughout Asia over the past year, my creativity was forced to take a backseat . I don’t think I even realised just how vital a part of my life it was until it wasn’t there anymore – isn’t that always the way?! Now I have learnt to put art front and centre in all that I do, and I’m so much happier for it already.

Kira November 9, 2013 at 16:08

As human beings we do tend to keep a frenetic pace. I am not sure how this happens, but its a normal habit for many, myself included. It is incredibly important to keep our passion firstly above all other things. You are trusting your hearts desire and feeling more centered as a result. I am so very happy for you.

Hannah November 9, 2013 at 17:12

Thank you Kira, I really appreciate your supportive words.

Kim November 9, 2013 at 11:49

So many things to say!!! First of all, I love that you have overalls. Second of all, beautiful photographs as always. Third of all, amazing writing and I love Candace’s advice. She is so spot on about that. I, too, am struggling to get words on paper lately.

Hannah November 9, 2013 at 12:11

Haha! I love that I have overalls too – though in the UK we call them dungarees! It has been so nice travelling with a car load of stuff rather than a backpack, and all the clothing options that has afforded us. After a year wearing the same T-shirt it has been bliss actually having a choice! And thank you for your kind words, I hope you are able to get some words on paper (and screen) soon, I always love reading them.

Domini Hedderman November 9, 2013 at 15:19

Beautiful post. I, too, feel a sense of isolation and desolation as we feverishly road trip across the U.S. I don’t necessarily want to return to my hometown but I’m tired of travel, for now, as it’s robbing me of peace, patience, and creativity. Rock and a hard place. I think it’s simply a matter of choosing the right pace of travel. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your creative solution. Enjoy France!

Hannah November 9, 2013 at 15:49

Thank you Domini, and I absolutely agree that it is definitely a matter of choosing the right pace of travel to suit your individual needs. For us, that means taking it slow so we have time to indulge our creative sides without always rushing to check out or check in or catch a bus. I hope you are able to find the right pace to suit you, and some peace again.

Joanne Joseph November 9, 2013 at 17:19

I’m so glad that you are listening to your inner voice and have slowed down. We all must find our own pace. Your artistry shines through in your well chosen words and beautifully crafted photos.
Joanne Joseph recently posted..Semuc Champey, Guatemala ~ Hidden Jungle Paradise and El Retiro

Hannah November 9, 2013 at 18:46

Thank you so much Joanne, I really appreciate your kind words.

ashley November 9, 2013 at 22:03

Sounds like you are in a really great place. I think that you capture perfectly so well the importance of following you “art” and how travel can be the thing that allows you to focus on your art rather than being travel being the focus. I think that’s why I love travel so much – the freedom it brings and the opportunity to see the world. Slow travel is most definitely the best way to savour a place. I look forward to reading your updates.

Hannah November 10, 2013 at 12:25

I think you hit the nail right on the head there Ashley – that travel is the thing that allows us to focus on our art, rather than being the main focus itself. After a year of adjusting to our new lifestyle, I now feel able to control its direction more, and am confident in the choices we making. I’m so happy to have you following our journey.

Daan Spits November 9, 2013 at 22:26

Hi Hannah,

We haven’t met in person, but through a wide variety of, what I can only call, similarities, have we come to follow you and Lee on your adventures.

My girlfriend, Sietske and I (Daan), left our jobs last year, decided this time not to travel to the far corners of the world, but to get into our old beat-up Volvo and set out to discover, rural Europe. We are Amsterdamians, yet love the outdoors.

Your work (and that of other fellow esthetic designers and online enthusiasts) has/have inspired me to start for myself whilst on the road. The last 5 months we were lucky enough to mind an old wine farm in the Beaujolais. Reading this latest blog reminds me of those days, and want to thank you for showing the world the large beauty that you too see in the simpleness of the rural outdoors.

Keep up the good work, and thank you. It inspirers.

Daan

Hannah November 10, 2013 at 13:56

Hi Daan, thank you so much for commenting, it’s lovely to connect with you. Lee and I both love Amsterdam, and have often though of spending a few months getting to know it better. It sounds like you and Sietske have embarked on a wonderful adventure, and I wish you both all the best with your travels and your new business. I shall be following along on your blog!

Lunaguava November 10, 2013 at 11:56

Beautifully written. I miss the autumns of Europe and the smell of chestnuts in the woods. Your photos and text brought me back to shimmering moments of my childhood, so thank you for that. Good luck!
Lunaguava recently posted..Visiting Palenque in Chiapas

Hannah November 10, 2013 at 13:59

Thank you so much, I’m happy I was able to take you back for a while. I missed the changing of the seasons so much during our year in Asia, and it has been wonderful coming back to experience them at their most beautiful. The markets are full of chestnuts here, and I am looking forward to roasting some in our wood burner soon.

Montecristo Travels (Sonja) November 12, 2013 at 20:24

Best line: When you are travelling, you are what you are in that moment, your most immediate self. I think that is where all my inspiration is born. Free of the shackles of everything else – expectations flee, doubt is gone … I am just … me. That is when I can hear the tiny voice of my Muse.

Hannah November 13, 2013 at 10:37

I’m so glad that line resonated with you Sonja. Travel is such a wonderful way of not only seeing more of the world, but also of seeing more of yourself.

Colleen Brynn November 12, 2013 at 21:14

It’s so hard when the creative is sucked out.
I feel very much the same, and like I’ve hit a big pause button while I go through school. It’s just so hard, and I don’t have time to commit to my creative like I need, but I also need to finish schooling because my brain won’t be satisfied otherwise.
Here and there I chip away at art. Mostly writing. Tonight, though, perhaps I will sketch. :)
Colleen Brynn recently posted..Don’t Ask Me When I Go

Hannah November 13, 2013 at 10:43

I’ve found that even the smallest creative act helps keep me in contact with that part of myself long enough to make me happy. Just giving myself 15 minutes a day to draw a mandala, or get outside and collect leaves and feathers to make a table setting with… simple things that collectively help tie me to my creative core. I hope you are able to do something similar that will help you feel more balanced.

Patricia GW November 13, 2013 at 23:18

Dear Hannah,

Your writing is like a delicate, beautiful gift unwrapped layer by layer. You were able to put into words exactly how difficult it is to balance travel and creative work. I think your friend Candace puts it well. I feel the same way, that art is more important than just travel. As Liz Gilbert wrote, one should travel and have experiences for the sake of writing about them.

Since moving to Japan where I am responsible for attending educational board meeting after board meeting, I often find myself dreaming of Europe, eager to go where I can enjoy beauty for its own sake and concentrate on writing. It sounds like slowing down in France was just what you and Lee needed. I hope you enjoy a beautiful and very creative time there!

All the Best,
Tricia

p.s. Clever title, too!
Patricia GW recently posted..Tokuda, Sanno, and Senmaida Festivals

Hannah November 14, 2013 at 09:17

Thank you so much for your wonderful compliment Patricia, your kind words really mean the world, and I feel so lucky to have your continued support and encouragement. And I love that quote from Liz Gilbert – that lady sure knows her stuff! I hope Japan has turned out to be everything you dreamed of and more, and if you ever fancy a creative break, you will always be welcome here in France x

Patricia GW November 17, 2013 at 04:37

Thanks so much, Hannah! You’re always so kind x
Patricia GW recently posted..MEMENTOS: Now With 200% More Americans

TammyOnTheMove November 14, 2013 at 04:52

I am so glad that you are writing again Hannah! I really missed reading your beautifully written posts. Looks like you two got your mojo back!
TammyOnTheMove recently posted..What does adventure mean to you?

Hannah November 14, 2013 at 09:10

Thank you so much Tammy, I’m so happy to have you following our journey. I hope life is treating you well over in Cambodia and you haven’t been caught up in the riots.

Anwar November 16, 2013 at 05:12

Beautifully Written Hannah, Thanks for sharing this. Sometimes its great to take a step back and reassess where you are going. I know sometimes I try to make things fit and be happy even when I know they really don’t. I had my own opportunity recently to do that and its interesting how sometimes you find yourself on a different path even if it is somewhat similar to where you were before. I’m glad to hear you got back to the art and the heart of the passion for what you are doing.
Anwar recently posted..Egypt: In the steps of Moses

Hannah November 16, 2013 at 08:51

Thank you so much Anwar. And you are so right that we need to step back from time to time and reassess things. I’m glad you had the chance to do this yourself, and will definitely be taking stock of my own life a lot more regularly to make room for the things I love most.

Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) November 18, 2013 at 06:49

Though we are now thousands of miles apart and our physical geography could not be more different, in reading this post I felt like on the most fundamental level you and I are on the exact same page, the exact same plane. For months now Tony & I have been battling a fatigue and an ennui that has been creeping into every aspect of our lives—before we left for our three week trek through the mountains here in Nepal I felt so mentally spun and spent that for one of the very first times in my life I found myself incapable of finding words to express myself in any capacity. I had no energy, I couldn’t read, I could barely speak, and I definitely could not write. Taking some time away to simply think, recharge, and reflect on what I truly wanted and needed has been so good for me and I found myself nodding heartily in agreement with each sentence that you wrote here. We need a place to rest, to roost, to dig our feet in and spend some time focusing on the other things outside of travel that make us come alive. I know that in life that I can’t have it all, but I also know that I can’t just have one thing either—I need time to read, to think, to write, to cook, to dream, to count the minutes as they pass rather than the days. The tiny pleasures I find in life may be singular, but they are not single, so I need the space and time to give my attention to all these things rather than doggedly pursuing just one of them. Rather than finding the time to go slow, we need to just give ourselves this gift; adventures can find us anywhere we happen to be, if only we have the energy and the inspiration to accept them when they call! And if we’re always moving too fast, they won’t know where to find us…
Steph (@ 20 Years Hence) recently posted..Moreish Muar

Hannah November 18, 2013 at 15:56

It can be so difficult to keep sight of the things that make us feel balanced and whole. I hope your time in Nepal continues to be a source of peace and reflection, and that you are able to find room once again for all that brings you joy.

Peter Korchnak November 23, 2013 at 20:39

Thank you for this confession. I’m happy for you.

I read my thoughts in some of the lines. I, too, have found that the need on the road to figure out transportation or accommodations, process new sensations, meet strangers, and so on, day in, day out, drains the well of creativity. It is in slowing down mentally and pausing physically in a spot for a while that I can recharge and channel my creativity into my art (writing).

I’m glad you’re back at Further Bound, I was missing your writing. I look forward to future posts!
Peter Korchnak recently posted..Finding travel bliss in the tourist vortex of Santorini, Part 2

Hannah November 24, 2013 at 12:09

Thank you Peter, it’s lovely being back to blogging again, and I’m so happy to have you following our journey.

Victoria November 24, 2013 at 23:52

So beautiful Hannah in every which way. And oh how I adore conkers.
Victoria recently posted..At home in a village above the clouds

Hannah November 25, 2013 at 11:35

Thank you my dear. And oh, how I adore conkers too! I’ve also started a rapidly growing pinecone collection…!

Jeremy November 27, 2013 at 04:46

VIVA LA ART !

Hannah November 28, 2013 at 09:52

Well said, my friend!

Lisa Imogen Eldridge December 8, 2013 at 08:18

Wow, so beautifully written. Being on the road for a long time does dampen your inspiration and creativity. It’s so important to stop and just be, and what an amazing place to stop in.

Hannah December 10, 2013 at 15:09

Thank you so much Lisa, I’m so happy you enjoyed it. This has certainly proven to be the perfect place to stop for a while and let my creativity take precedence. It’s going to be very tough to leave!

Alex January 7, 2014 at 22:07

I read this post when you first wrote it and am re-reading it again now and seeing all the more wisdom in it! It has been so many years since I created art for the simple act of creating that I almost can’t remember what it is like. This reminds me of one of the things I look forward to most when I settle down again someday… taking classes, being creative, and taking time to make things with my hands.

Lots of love to you two! x
Alex recently posted..Strolling Through Downtown Lima

Hannah January 8, 2014 at 16:11

Thank you for taking the time to come back to this post my dear, I’m so happy it held meaning for you. I can tell you that the more time I carve out for creativity, the richer my life is becoming, and the more I feel drawn to make and do. I lie awake at night thinking of pottery classes and new paints, and am actually planning a new business venture based around my art… I hope you are able to find time to indulge your creative side in 2014 – you are so very talented, and I know that whatever you do will be wonderful. Lots of love to you and Anders xxx

Stephen January 13, 2014 at 02:52

Fantastic writing as always. I know the feeling that sometimes the raod seems a fugue state, but this simple life of love and traveling is so wonderful and we are lucky to experience it. I am glad you feeling as if you are stepping back into your self.
Stephen recently posted..$250 Flight Voucher Giveaway – Because You Guys Are Awesome!

Hannah January 13, 2014 at 17:35

Thank you Stephen, it’s lovely to hear from you, as always, and it’s good to know I am not alone in my feelings towards long-term travel. This time of stillness has been exactly what we needed, and even after these few short months, I feel my creativity coming alive in so many new and exciting ways. I must admit though, that these travelling feet of mine are definitely starting to itch…

Katie Featherstone February 24, 2014 at 22:42

Sometimes you just need to stop and take a breath don’t you!
Katie Featherstone recently posted..Music that wont make your fellow travelers hate you… probably

Hannah February 25, 2014 at 10:24

You sure do!

Candyce March 18, 2014 at 23:48

I really like how you put this: “When you are travelling, you are what you are in that moment, your most immediate self. The people you meet see only that version of you, and it’s hard to maintain your wholeness in this fragmented and transitory existence.”

I’ve definitely experienced this. Currently it’s my first time traveling with my husband, and I think it does help to have someone so close to you, but I still find myself craving people who KNOW me. And other times I feel like being with him compounds the feeling of being fragmented, like I’m feeling it for both of us.
Candyce recently posted..Lucuma Smoothie

Hannah March 20, 2014 at 09:50

It can be all too easy to lose yourself in the whirlwind of travel. I have found that the best way to stay routed in who you are is to maintain some semblance of routine wherever you can, placing extra importance on the things that bring you joy. For me, that means time to read, write, draw, and indulge in my creativity. It was hard to keep these things up amongst the ever changing scenery of fast-paced travel, and so this guided us towards a new style that allows for the best of both, at a pace that enriches both experiences. I hope you are able to do the same, and wish you all the very best :)

Franca April 30, 2014 at 14:42

What a beautifully written piece! Whilst I was going through this post I could exactly see ourselves (me and Dale). In fact we are house-sitting too in the South of Spain in a tiny village surrounded by mountains and the dusty countryside. We needed to slow down after an intense part of our journey that really exhausted us, recharge our energy and, as you said, catch up with everything else. It is well needed and appreciated indeed plus we have two lovely cats to look after that are making our stay even more pleasant.

Hannah May 1, 2014 at 12:08

Thank you Franca, I’m so glad this post resonated with you, and that you have also found the benefits of slowing down. I’m new to your blog, but will be sure to check it out. Our next house-sit starts next month in the north of Spain, so it will be lovely to read about your own experiences :)